Other Astronomy Image Services
This page describes some other sites which provide astronomy image
services for survey datasets. It does not claim to be complete and
focusses especially on services which provide data in cutouts or
mosaicks as specified by the user as opposed to giving the user links
to underlying predefined observations.
The Aladin Image/catalog display tool provides links to many image services and can
extract images from them (including SkyView).
- Sky-Map.org provides beautiful color imagery of SDSS, IRAS
and other datasets using a Google-maps style interface with the
ability to see catalog information about objects in a given field of
Access to the Digitized Sky Surveys
- Schmidt survey plates of the entire sky were scanned at the ST ScI
and are available there and
at a number of other sites.
These generally provide access to cutouts of raw scan data rather than being resampled
to a standard coordinate system as is done in SkyView.
- Gorgeous color SDSS image cutouts can very quickly be generated here. Typically images will not span multiple SDSS fields.
IRSA Cutouts Services
- The Infrared Science Archive (IRSA) at IPAC provides cutout services to a wide variety of surveys primarily of but not limited to infrared data.
This tool accurately visualizes the coverage of surveys and observations.
NED and SIMBAD
- Along with many other capabilities both of these services provide links to images
available in a given region of the sky.